Between the Lines International Writing Program (IWP) for Young Writers at the University of Iowa, USA (Fully Funded)
Between the Lines is a component of the International Writing Program (IWP) that brings young writers, aged 16-19, to the University of Iowa for creative writing study and cultural interaction. Between the Lines is a summer program that brings young writers 16-20 to the University of Iowa (the writing university) for creative writing study & cultural exchange.
Application Deadline: February 17th 2016
When: June 25 – July 9th 201
Who can apply:
- Talented young writers, between age 16-19 years, who show promise to become future literary figures in their respective countries and in their own native languages.
- Applicants must be proficient in Arabic and English (reading, writing and speaking);
- Past experience in creative writing both in English and Arabic;
- Ready to develop and share new writing techniques
- Citizens of Morocco, Tunisia,
- The selection preference will be given to talented young writers candidates with limited or no travel experience outside of their home country.
Required Application Documents:
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of prose and/or poetry in Arabic.
- A writing sample of 6-8 pages of prose and/or poetry in English.
- A brief one-paragraph statement of purpose in English describing why writing is important to your life, and what you hope to learn at BTL.
- A writing sample of 2-5 pages of prose and/or poetry in either language in response to one of the following writing prompts:
During breakfast you are startled by a heavy knock at the door. It is someone who demands something from you. Who is it, what does he/she need, and what happens next? Write a short story or poem.
Write a short story or poem that contains three of the following objects and one place:
Objects: old bicycle, uncomfortable couch, leaking canoe, sleeping puppy, love note, truth serum.
o Places: cruise ship, forest with a lake, empty street at dawn, deserted dance club.
Please e-mail applications to TunisExchanges@state.gov
No later than February 17, 2016
Please e-mail applications RabatExchanges@state.gov
NO later than Saturday, February 15, 2016 at midnight, GMT.
For more information about applications and procedures and other requirements, read these Guidelines for Tunisia and for Morocco
Or Visit the Official Webpage